Located on the northern banks of Lake Wissota, three miles northeast of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, LWYC was established in 1958 by sailors who were living on the lake and had an interest in sailing, more specifically racing C-Scows. In 1972 the members purchased the current property and became a legal entity. 2022 marked the Club's 50th anniversary.
Racing is what started the club. Gene Mower, long-time sailor and founder of LWYC, completed a history of sailing on Lake Wissota. The first C-Scows were brought in from Minnesota’s Johnson Boat Works in 1950. By 1972, the sport had grown rapidly enough to demand a permanent home, and land was purchased in the northwest corner of the lake where it exists today. This area of the lake is protected by all but southeast winds.
Regular races are scheduled throughout the season and participation and interest has grown. Watch for groups of boats circling around or racing towards the bright orange markers that define the start/end and turning points of the course.
The Club is happy to call Lake Wissota our home and prioritizes stewardship and respect for this wonderful resource. We look forward to many more years of sailing on Wissota!